This is the site for the Constituency Labour Party of Wealden, a mostly rural constituency in East Sussex. Despite Wealden having been a Tory stronghold since its foundation in 1983, in the 2017 General Election Labour made huge gains (becoming the local as well as the national alternative to the Tories). In 2018 we won our first contested council seat (in Uckfield North) and in 2019 we came within 19 votes of winning our first District Council seat. If anyone is going to unseat the Tory incumbent in Wealden in the upcoming General Election it can only be the Labour Party.
We meet regularly to discuss local issues, for social events and to go campaigning. Details are on the events page.
The CLP comprises four active Branch Labour Parties (which also meet monthly): Crowborough, Forest Row, Hailsham and Uckfield. New members are made very welcome at branch meetings and social events.
Supply cheaper, greener electricity to millions of homes
- Build 37 publicly-owned wind farms: invest profits in deprived coastal areas
- Install solar panels and insulation in over a million low income homes
- Create 400,000 sustainable green jobs
- Ban fracking
- New clean air act
- Net zero carbon emissions by 2030
A fair deal at work
- Ban zero hours contracts – guaranteed hours for every worker
- Minimum wage of £10 per hour for everyone over 18
Free personal care for older people
- Invest £8 billion into adult social care
- Free care for those over 65 who need help with washing, dressing & eating
- Living wage and fair working conditions for care workers
Inflation cap on rent rises
- Longer, more secure tenancies
- License landlords and introduce consumer rights for renters
- New legal minimum standards to ensure properties are fit to live in
- Build 100,000 council and housing association homes for affordable rent or sale.
End university tuition fees
- Bring back maintenance grants and nursing bursaries
- Free education in FE colleges for upskilling & retraining at any age
Cheaper, greener transport
- Affordable public transport across the regions
- Renationalise the railways
- 30,000 publicly owned electric vehicles available to rent
More life-saving & life-changing medicines available on NHS
- Compulsory licensing to secure generic versions of patented drugs
- Publicly owned pharmaceutical company to manufacture affordable drugs
- Reverse the privatisation of the NHS